Boko Haram Leader Shekau Vows to Disrupt Nigeria Election: New Video

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has vowed to disrupt
Nigeria’s general election in a new video released Tuesday,
after two suicide attacks in the northeast blamed on the
Islamists killed 38 people.“This election will not be held even if we are dead. Even if
we are not alive Allah will never allow you to do it,”
Shekau said in the Hausa language, presumably referring
to the polls scheduled for March 28.
According to AFP, the video appeared to be the first
message released by the group on Twitter, a sign
of its changing media tactics after previous messages were
distributed to journalists on DVD.
Shekau was shown in unusual clarity in front of a solid blue
background, dressed in black and with an automatic
weapon resting to his right.
He also claimed a weekend attack in the northeast Nigerian
city of Gombe, which the military says was repelled.
The Islamist leader, declared a global terrorist by the United
States and sanctioned by the United Nations, disputed the
military’s account of the Gombe clashes, claiming that his
fighters overran troops and freed insurgents from prison.
Nigeria’s general election had been scheduled for February
14 but was postponed by six weeks, with the security
services saying they needed more time to contain the
violence in the northeast, Boko Haram’s stronghold.
Despite Shekau’s threat, experts doubt that the Islamist
rebels have the capacity to disrupt voting nationwide,
although election officials have conceded that voting could
prove impossible in parts of the northeast.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s